What is a hero, and how can you show gratitude to those who act heroically? In this activity, we invite you to write a letter or create artwork to a “Dear Hero” to honor and thank those in your own community who have stepped forward to sacrifice each day. You can mail your creation to your hero or share on social media.
During the events of 9/11 and since then, our police officers, firefighters and military service men and women have served to help our communities. To thank them for these acts of heroism, we ask you to create tributes to honor these individuals. These tributes can include cards, drawings, and letters thanking them for their service.
- Colored pencils, markers, crayons
- Imagination: If you don’t have any of these, or if you want to use different materials, you can use anything you have at home.
- Brainstorm a list of people whom you consider to be a hero in your community.
- Write or draw a message of gratitude. Download the template or create your own.
- Get creative! Decorate your letter or artwork using crayons, markers, colored pencils, or any other materials you have at home.
- Collaborate with your family as you create your message for more inspiration.
- Tape your letter or artwork to your door or window for others to see and post it on social media